Conotton Valley approves exit from IVC
The board unanimously voted to leave the Inter-Valley Conference following the 2027-28 academic year
Conotton Valley Treasurer Gabriel Tingle, left, and Superintendent John Zucal discuss district matters during the May 21 Board of Education meeting.
Jacquie Humphrey
At the May 21 meeting of the Conotton Valley Board of Education, the school’s withdrawal from the Inter-Valley Conference was officially approved and confirmed.
Superintendent John Zucal explained to the board that he and high school principal Danielle Caldwell had “tried our best to keep the conference together,” but after Claymont, Sandy Valley and Tusky Valley announced earlier this year they would leave the conference, it became clear Conotton Valley “didn’t have a choice” but to take action.
Zucal told the board he believes the decision “protects us and keeps us in a competitive situation” moving forward. The Inter-Valley Conference will continue through the end of the 2027-28 school year before Conotton Valley begins competition in a yet-to-be-named conference for the 2028-29 school year.
Caldwell said she believes the decision is “the best for our kids.”
The board unanimously voted to leave the Inter-Valley Conference following the 2027-28 academic year.
During the superintendent’s report, Zucal said he attended the graduate celebration at Buckeye Career Center and is “very proud of our young people” attending there.
Zucal also discussed preliminary results from Ohio State Assessment Testing and said he believes the outcomes will be positive. He said he is “extremely grateful” to the students for “making education a priority.”
In other action, the board:
—Heard the financial balance reported at $17,024,388.83 and approved expenditures totaling $897,934.72.
—Approved a supplemental appropriation resolution for fiscal year 2026 and an amended certificate of estimated resources.
—Approved purchase requisition 176974 in the amount of $100.
—Approved the transfer of $400,000 from account 070-9105 to account 070-9103.
—Approved a contract with K-12 Business Consulting Inc. for five-year forecast licensure and software at a cost of $6,900 for fiscal year 2027.
—Approved monthly medical insurance rates with JHP/MedBen effective July 1 through June 30, 2027.
—Approved the transfer of $2,750,000 from the Unified Investment Account to Star Ohio.
—Approved the OME-RESA service agreement for fiscal year 2027 totaling $23,171.96.
—Accepted gifts and donations totaling $1,465.
—Approved the nonrenewal of all supplemental contracts for the 2025-26 school year except for those still in progress, which will be considered nonrenewed upon completion of the activity.
—Approved field trips for second grade students to Yoder’s Amish Farm May 6; fourth grade students to Dennison Depot May 20; students in grades four and five to Conotton Trail in Scio May 26; third grade students to the Akron Zoo May 19; and Spanish students to visit the Taqueria El Exito food truck May 22 as part of a cultural immersion experience.
—Approved Keri Manbeck, Rebecca Grandison, Chelsea Henry and Samantha Farnsworth as chaperones for the March 2028 band trip to Florida.
—Approved the resignations of Jeremy Bleininger as varsity softball coach effective April 18; Karlee Dawson as assistant varsity softball coach effective April 18; and Charlie Reese as assistant varsity softball coach effective April 17.
—Approved supplemental contracts for A.J. Sarbaugh and Jeremy Ady as co-varsity softball coaches for the remainder of the 2025-26 school year effective April 20.
—Approved supplemental contracts for the 2026-27 school year for Derek O’Hara as strength and conditioning coordinator; Korey Herron as varsity boys bowling coach; Stephanie Garrott as district testing coordinator and federal program coordinator; Brian Dittfeld as E-Rate programs coordinator; and Stephanie Lytle as special education coordinator.
—Approved Darryl McClain and Chris Stitt as seasonal workers on an as-needed basis for the 2026-27 school year.
—Approved Brenda Galliher as a classified substitute secretary for the remainder of the 2025-26 school year.
—Approved Donna Golec as an OBI bus instructor for the 2026-27 school year.
—Approved summer employment for students Konnor Witts, Graycen Grezlik and Brianna Straight-Beitzel at $15 per hour, not to exceed 20 hours per week from June 1 through July 31.
—Approved the employment of Daniel Robinson as a computer science teacher beginning with the 2026-27 contract year.
—Approved and awarded a continuing contract to Carly Davis Grezlik beginning with the 2026-27 contract year after meeting state and local requirements.
—Approved the resignation of custodian Tyler Walters effective May 15.
—Approved the retirement of intervention specialist Kelcey Jacobs and bus driver Beverly Scott effective at the end of the current contract year.
—Approved the classified employment of McKayla Nitz as a full-time custodian effective immediately pending completion of all requirements.
—Approved an Employee Dishonesty and Faithful Performance of Duty insurance policy for the treasurer and superintendent with coverage limits up to $250,000 in accordance with board policy.
—Approved a three-year school photography agreement with Solid Rock Photos.
—Approved a three-year contract for Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer Gabe Tingle beginning Aug. 1 through July 31, 2029, at annual salaries of $100,644 in year one, $103,160.10 in year two and $105,739.10 in year three.
The next meeting of the Conotton Valley Board of Education will be Thursday, June 18 in the administrative conference room.